Sticking with my fall pumpkin theme, I modified a recipe for Pumpkin Quinoa Chili to make it vegan and it was FANTASTIC! It came out a little spicy for my taste, so if you like it mild, half the amount of the chili powder and cayenne pepper.
1 1/2 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 Cups diced onion
1 quart veggie broth
5 medium organic tomatoes on the vine (or 4 large)
2 – 15 oz. cans organic black beans, drained & rinsed
1 – 15 oz. can organic pumpkin
2 TB brown sugar
1 TB thyme
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher salt (plus a pinch)
1 tsp paprika
3/8 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 Cup uncooked quinoa
1. Chop onions and dice tomatoes – keep all the juices of the tomatoes.
2. Heat the holive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and season with a dash of kosher salt. Saute for 5-7 minutes until tender.
3. Add everything else EXCEPT the quinoa. Heat to boiling then reduce to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
4. Add the quinoa and cook for 20 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
5. Take bay leaf out and serve*.
* I found that my first serving was a little soupy but by the time I went back for the second serving, it had thickened with the quinoa. So I recommend waiting 15-20 minutes after it stops cooking to serve.