- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 TB olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Cups chicken stock (or veggie stock if you want to remain pescatarian)
- 2 Cups dry white wine
- 1/4 C tomato paste
- 4 (four) 14 oz (or two 28 oz) cans of diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 TB flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 lb mussels
- 1/2 lb cod
- 1/2 lb small scallops
- 2 small cans of clams, with juice
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp
1. In a large soup tureen, heat the olive oil and sautee the onions until translucent. Add garlic and sautee for 2 more minutes. Meanwhile, rinse and “de-beard” the mussels. Throw away any that have opened, as they are spoiled.
2. Stir in the tomatoes, with juices, and tomato paste. As it heats, mash the tomatoes with spoon.
3. Add the stock and parsley, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
Now you’re ready to put in the fish–this part goes FAST!
4. Add the white wine and oregano and then add the mussels first. Cook until they open, about 5 minutes
5. Add the cod, clams, scallops and shrimp. Cook until shrimp is pink, about 5 minutes ONLY!
Season with salt and pepper and serve with a nice loaf of crusty bread.
Makes approximately 10 servings.