Once upon a time I was browsing a menu in a Los Angeles diner, and in the dessert section they offered “Bread Pudding” and right below that, “Rice Putting” [sic]. Ever since, I’ve called it “Rice Putting.” I mean WHO DOESN’T PROOF READ when the word “pudding” was RIGHT. THERE.
Anyhoo—here is an awesome vegan rice putting recipe I’ve invented using all-vegan ingredients. I wasn’t sure if the almond milk would thicken, but it actually turned out great!
1 C uncooked white rice (I used CalRose)
1.75 C water
2 1/2 C Unsweetened Almond Milk
1/4 C white sugar
1/4 C brown sugar
2 TB Earth Balance
1/2 tsp cinnamon
A “sprinkle” of nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C raisins or dried cranberries (optional)
1. Cook the white rice as directed in the water in a large saucepan.
2. Before it cools, add the almond milk, sugars, Earth Balance, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens (about 22-30 minutes).
4. Pour into a serving dish and mix with either raisins or dried cranberries, if desired.
5. Let cool and then refrigerate for at least one hour.